My Blog List

Our mission

Are you that special person who - weary from trudging the endless superhighways - just longs to camp next to a glorious oasis of the mind? Do you desire to explore new frontiers, splash in shared ideas, fill your belly with the refreshing fruits of inspiration, and bask in the gentle rays of fond reflection?

Well, you can fuck right off. This, my friends, is not that place. This place is... The ShadowLands.

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Louis Pasteur

The great microbiologist Louis Pasteur died on September 28, 1895.

People meeting Pasteur always faced an awkward moment, as he refused to shake hands - which sounds cute and eccentric - except that three of his children died of typhoid.

Contemporaries remembered his bravery in collecting samples of saliva from rabid dogs for his ultimately successful work creating a vaccine against the disease.

Pasteur quotes: "I am often scolded by Mme. Pasteur, but I console her by telling her that I shall lead her to fame."

"My strength lies solely in my tenacity."

2 comments:

kae said...

I was married on Sept 28 1991.

The relationship died about five years later.

The corpse left in 1999.

Shoulda gone to the Grand Final that day!

Anonymous said...

New book on Pasteur's attempt to eradicate rabbits in Australia - see www.feral.typepad.com