* As a young man, thanks to his teacher, he first learnt to speak English with an Irish accent.
* He had a set of false teeth, which he carried in a fold of his loin cloth, using them only when he ate.
* He was silent one day every week.
* He made huge amounts of money in South Africa working as a pacifist debt collector.
* His pacifism was passed down by the ancient gurus of India, right? Well actually, he was greatly inspired by an American, Henry David Thoreau. Read this, and tell me it ain't so. Gandhi quote: "I believe in equality for everyone, except reporters and photographers."