* An Archduchess of Austria, Marie married the future Louis XVI at 14.
* Louis allegedly didn't know what to do in the sack, and it took seven years for the marriage to be consummated. This was public knowledge, and the subject of bawdy pamphlets and "libelles".
* She gave birth in front of hundreds of people.
* She never said "Let them eat cake".
* She stood on a balcony for ten minutes in front of a rowdy crowd with muskets trained at her.
* Here's a great Marie Halloween costume.
Marie quotes: "There is nothing new except what has been forgotten."
"Courage! I have shown it for years; think you I shall lose it at the moment when my sufferings are to end?"
and her last words spoken on October 16, 1793 after stepping on her executioner's foot:
"Pardon me, monsieur. It was not on purpose."