With the Arctic melt season now over, a few facts have emerged.
* The Arctic Summer of 2008 was colder than 2007;
* The Greenland ice sheet appears to be moving more slowly;
* Ice in Alaska's Tanana River took longer than average to break up;
* The chap who attempted to kayak to the north pole was stopped by ice 1000 kilometres short. (He would have made it further in 1979, the year when satellite images commenced.)
* Arctic sea ice grew faster than ever recorded in October 2008, being approximately 25 per cent larger in extent than at the same time in 2007.
UPDATE: Meanwhile, in the sub-Arctic zones...
"The Three Terrors"....................
1 minute ago