As the ShadowLands reported previously, Australia's nerdoscenti are out in force, following the appointment of web-stalkers to the commercial website, Crikey.
As far as we can tell, the chronology of events runs something like this:
* People with apparently not much to say on behalf of themselves and not-so-latent envy issues decide to stalk the highly popular websites of News Ltd conservatives, Blair and Bolt.
* During this time, they fail to ever really find anything on the blogs that would get Blair or Bolt into trouble, but manage to work their own commenters into a lather, for example, saying:
"Tim Blair fucks his puppeh because Andrew Bolt won’t suck him off."
and of Bolt:
* At some point, the stalkers attract the admiration of Crikey.com, quite possibly because Blair (in particular) and the Crikey editor have never really gotten on all that well.
* The stalkers set up a blog at Crikey, and since, in their experience, there isn't much to pin on Blair or Bolt, they ask commenters to show them examples of vile abuse in Blair/Bolt comment threads.
* As apparently their traffic isn't what they were hoping to get, the stalkers get all upset that Blair and Bolt won't send them their many thousands of readers.
* In steps JF Beck who, recognising a hot kitchen when he enters it, responds in a manner familiar to anyone who has read the stalkers' comment boards.
* One of the stalkers suddenly doesn't like the heat and, bizarrely, emails Tim Blair seeking - what exactly - sympathy? Not so surprisingly, Blair suggests this is a bit rich given the comments made about him on their blogs. Blair via JF Beck makes public the email conversation.
* Suffering from an acute case of panty-bunchitis, the stalker and his friends (some of whom took part in the thread in question) all pile in to Bolt's forum, saying that Blair was never called a dog fucker in their forum. They all want to know where the link is.
* A number of commenters provide the link, including one of the stalkers.
* A stalker apologises to Blair privately, but at time of writing, had not done so publicly on any of his blogs.
* The result so far:
The web-stalkers and their mates - at the urging of the stalkers - are all visiting Blair and Bolt a great deal. The winner (as usual): Rupert Murdoch.
Decisions to make: Eric Beecher, publisher of Crikey needs to decide whether he wants credibility or his new blog - cos he can't have both.
1 hour ago